Why use RVRD:
• 30+ years combined film experience on high-end commercial and feature film productions.
• Design and build our UAV/Drone; not only for our productions but sell them worldwide as well.
• One of the first UAV/Drone operation in the world to be asked to join the IATSE Film Union.
• Only commercial UAV company “Open Permitted” w/ Transport Canada throughout Canada meaning we can operate anywhere at anytime per our SFOC’s (other companies can take up to 20-120 days to get permits).
• In-house camera equipment for any production (10 Drone systems, Red Dragon, Red Weapon, Arri Alex Mini’s w/ EF & PL Motion Mounts, Black Magic 4K’s, multiple Movi M10 & M15’s, Preston Fiz, numerous SmallHD Monitors, 4x Paralinx Tomahawk systems, Generators, Trailer and the list goes on & on.
• Partnered up with some of the best manufactures of film and electronic equipment in the world – (Freefly Black Magic, Small HD, Paralinx, Tiger Motors, KDE, Gensace, Dragonlink and more).
So please look around when choosing a vendor for your next production, you will find we are one of, if not “the” highest qualified with the most film experience around!
• Do you have an Open Permit – Yes we have an “Open Permit” to operate in Canada anywhere at anytime (after we do a risk assessment) + we have additional permissions like: Night Operations, 150-400ft Height, and able to operate with zero prior notice depending on location. Others require an SFOC permit which can take 20-120 days to obtain w/ restrictions depending on location.
• Can you use drones in the U.S. – Commercial drone use is illegal in the U.S. without a Section 333 exemption from the FAA. Our exemption is currently being processed and should be granted summer 2015.
• What makes your drones different – Our UAV/Drones are NOT off the shelve rigs, we custom make/design our UAVs/Drone using the best/latest technology possible for the most demanding applications. The X8’s design with over/under motor/prop configuration act a mini gyro stabilizers and having high mass/low surface area cuts through wind making it the most stable design period! The design works so well you will start to see others using it.
• How large are the UAV/Drones and are they portable – We have a mobile trailer to be on set within any drivable location. For air transport, all UAV/Drones are collapsible designed and pack down quite small to travel anywhere in the world. Depending on the shots requirements we can fit everything needed into 1 or 2 pelican cases “well the largest case Pelican makes”.
• Why do you have so many UAV/Drones (10 to be exact) – We have an assortment of drones that are specific for camera payloads and budgets (our large drones are custom/designed manufactured for specific filming environments). Our “Rapture Heavy-lift X8” has the most lifting capacity allowed for commercial applications and is our film workhorse, flying a Red or Alexa, Ultra Primes or Super Speed, HD Downlinks, Preston remote zoom, Movi M10 or M15 and accessories. We also provide a “Rapture Extended X8E” which is one of a kind and currently has the longest flight times of any “multirotor drone”. Its designed to carry a Flir Thermal camera can achieve 90miutes of flight time. Smaller more budget conscious drones are the Freefly Alta, DJI Inspire and DJI S1000.
• What equipment can you fly with: We are currently use the largest Movi M15 gimbal which has a 15lbs payload. We can list any camera around 5lbs (Red Dragon, Red Weapon, Alexa Mini or smaller), any lens under 2.5lbs (Ultra Primes, Super Speeds and some Anamorphic Lens), Remote FI+Z”, Long range HD Down-link for video village, Freefly Movi M10 or M15 gimbal, etc.
• Is the footage smooth – YES, we use the Freefly MOVI M10 & M15 gimbal systems which are unsurpassed and require virtually ZERO post stabilization!
• Do you provide video downlinks for video village – Yes, we provide Paralinx Tomahawk HD Long Range wireless downlinks which can achieve over 2000ft+ range without dropout with less than 1ms of latency. Client/agency monitors provided via Camera Cart or handheld cages with Paralinx Tomahawk HD “long range” live video feeds which can be daisy chained to as many monitors as needed.
• Do you have Remote Wheels (Pan/Tilt) – Yes we have “Wheels” for DP / Camera operators who are used to traditional gimbal wheels rather than thumb or tray remotes.
• How long can we shoot – ALL DAY… we use batteries in dual or quad configurations from 32,000-64,000Mah, and have enough to last any shoot in bursts of “10-15min with Red or Alexa”, “15-30min with DSLR” and “60-90min with Flir” depending on configuration.
• Any wait between flights – Less than 3-5 minutes to swap out batteries/cards/camera settings.
• Flight distance and height – Line of sight, usually 600ft max, video feed to 2000ft, data link up to 2miles, 0-150ft in urban areas, 0-400ft in remote areas (+400ft height with airspace approval).
• How fast is it and can it fly in wind or rain – Top speeds are around 65km/40mph depending on conditions – all of the rigs are specify designed to handle winds in around 20+ knots sustained (15knots gusting). We can also operate in rain and snow conditions.
• Can we change camera/lenses – YES, with a quick re-balancing which requires a short down time for Movi calibration.
• Is it dangerous – It could be so we take every precaution for safety; years of experience, GPS auto pilot, automated return to home, automated failsafe landing and safety meetings before shooting, lock-offs, etc.
• What if it has a prop or motor failure – Our coaxial rigs all have redundancy meaning if a prop/motor fails it will still fly and return safely – even if two motors fail it will still be under control.
• How many teams do you have – We have 3 teams (pilots, camera operators, safety techs, producer) so we can run multiple jobs.
• Are you insured – Yes we have a 5 million production insurance policy covering liability, property and equipment.