Why use RVRD:
• 30+ years combined film experience on high-end commercial and feature film productions.
• Design and build our UAV/Drone; not only for our productions but sell them worldwide as well.
• One of the first UAV/Drone operation in the world to be asked to join the IATSE Film Union.
• Only commercial UAV company “Open Permit” w/ Transport Canada thought Canada meaning we govern and issue our own • permits immediately after a risk assessment by our team (other companies take up to 20-120 days to get permits)!
• In-house equipment needed for any production (4 UAV/Drone systems, Red Dragon Camera w/ EF & PL Motion Mounts, Black Magic 4K’s, Multiple Movi M10 & M15’s, Preston Fiz, numerous Small HD Monitors, Paralinx Tomahawks, Generators, Trailer and the list goes on & on.
• Partnered up with some of the best manufactures of film and electronic equipment in the world – (Black Magic, Small HD, Paralinx, Tiger Motors, KDE, Gensace, Dragonlink and more).
So please look around when choosing a “Low Altitude Aerial Team” and you will find we are one of, if not “the” most qualified teams with the most film experience around!
• Do you have an Open Permit - Yes we have an “Open Permit” to operate in Canada anywhere at anytime (after we do a risk assessment) + we have additional permissions like: Night Operations, 150-400ft Height, and able to operate with zero prior notice depending on location. Others require an SFOC permit which can take 20-120 days to obtain w/ restrictions depending on location.
• What makes your drones different - Our UAV/Drones are NOT off the shelve rigs, we custom make/design our UAVs/Drone using the best/latest technology possible for the most demanding applications. The X8’s design with over/under motor/prop configuration act a mini gyro stabilizers and having high mass/low surface area cuts through wind making it the most stable design period! The design works so well you will start to see others using it.
• How large are the UAV/Drones and are they portable - We have a mobile trailer to be on set within any drivable location. For air transport, all UAV/Drones are collapsible designed and pack down quite small to travel anywhere in the world. Depending on the shots requirements we can fit everything needed into 2 pelican cases “well the largest case Pelican makes”.
• Why do you have 4 UAV/Drones (actually 5) - Each are custom/designed manufactured for specific filming environments. The “Ultra Heavy-lift X12-U” has the most lifting capacity allowed at 75lbs (due for release Fall 2014). Our “Extended X8-E” is one of a kind and currently has the longest flight times of any “model aircraft” UAV/Drone – the “Extended X8-E” with Flir Thermal Camera can achieve 90miutes of flight time. The “Compact X8-C” is our film workhorse due to its smaller size, flying a Red Dragon, Super Speed, HD Downlinks. The “Lite Weight H6-L” is for the special occasion when you want to get 4K shots in harsh weather. since its water resistant.
• What equipment can you fly with: Any camera under 5lbs (Red Dragon and smaller), any lens under 2.5lbs (some Ultra Prime’s and Anamorphic Lens, Remote Focus “under certain situations”), Long range HD Down-link for video village…
• Is the footage smooth - YES, we use the Freefly MOVI Gimbal which requires virtually ZERO post stabilization! For budget conscious production we offer Alexmos Gimbals which under curtain circumstances requires slight post stabilization.
• Do you provide video downlinks for video village - Yes, we provide Paralinx Tomahawk HD Long Range wireless downlinks which can achieve over 2000ft+ range without dropout and 1ms of latency. Client/agency monitors provided via Camera Cart – 2 HD “long range” and 2 SD “long range” live video feeds which can be daisy chained to as many monitors as needed.
• Do you have Remote Wheels (Pan/Tilt) - Yes we have “Wheels” for DP / Camera operators who are used to traditional gimbal wheels rather than thumb or tray remotes.
• How long can we shoot - We use batteries in dual or quad configurations from 32,000-64,000Mah, and have enough to last all day in bursts of “10-20min w/ Dragon”, “15-30min w/ DSLR” and 60-90min w/ Flir” depending on configuration.
• Any wait between flights - Less than 5 minutes to swap out batteries/cards (every hour of flight requires a quick systems check).
• Flight distance and height - Line of sight 300ft, video feed to 2000ft, data link up to 2miles, 0-150 (up to 400ft height with airspace approval).
• How fast is it and can it fly in wind or rain - Top speeds are around 10m/sec depending on conditions – all of the rigs are specify designed to handle winds in around 15+ knots. We can also operate in light rain conditions and even snow.
• Can we change camera/lenses - YES, with a quick re-balancing which requires a few minutes down time for setup.
• Is it dangerous - It could be so we take every precaution for safety; GPS auto pilot, automated return to home, automated failsafe landing and giving safety meetings before shooting, lock-offs, etc.
• What if it has a prop or motor failure - Our coaxial rigs all have redundancy meaning if a prop/motor fails it will still fly and return safely
• How many people on the team - We have 6 members on the team (pilot, camera operator, co-pilot, safety tech) so we can rum multiple jobs.
• Are you insured - Yes we have our own production insurance covering all liability, property and equipment.